Skateboarding is an exciting and popular sport that has been around for decades. It involves riding a board with wheels and performing various tricks and stunts. One of the most popular tricks in skateboarding is the backside 180. This trick involves spinning the skateboard 180 degrees while riding backwards. It’s a great trick to learn and adds a lot of style to your skateboarding.
In this post, we will cover the steps and tips on how to switch backside 180 on a skateboard.
Step 1: Master the basics Before attempting the backside 180, you need to have a good grasp of the basics of skateboarding. This includes riding the board, ollies, and 180-degree turns. Make sure you are comfortable riding your skateboard and have practiced your ollies and 180-degree turns before moving on to the backside 180.
Step 2: Set up for the trick Start by riding towards the obstacle you want to do the trick on. Make sure you are riding at a comfortable speed and have enough space to land the trick. Position your feet on the board in the ollie position, with your back foot on the tail of the board and your front foot near the middle of the board.
Step 3: Pop the ollie To start the backside 180, you need to pop an ollie. Pop the tail of the board down while jumping with your back foot. As you jump, slide your front foot towards the nose of the board to level it out.
Step 4: Start the spin As you are in mid-air, start to turn your shoulders and hips towards the backside of the board. Your front foot should be turning with your body as you rotate.
Step 5: Keep your eyes on the prize Keep your eyes focused on where you want to land. This will help you maintain your balance and stay centered over the board.
Step 6: Commit to the trick As you come around to the 180-degree mark, make sure you commit to the trick and complete the spin. This means keeping your weight centered over the board and not bailing out before you land.
Step 7: Land the trick As you complete the spin, prepare to land back on the board. Make sure you have your feet in the right position and land with your knees bent to absorb the impact.
Tips for Switch Backside 180
- Practice on flat ground first Before trying the trick on an obstacle, practice the backside 180 on flat ground. This will help you get a feel for the trick and build up your confidence.
- Focus on your foot placement Make sure your feet are in the right position when setting up for the trick. This will help you pop the ollie and spin smoothly.
- Use your shoulders and hips to initiate the spin Your shoulders and hips play a critical role in initiating the spin. Make sure you turn them towards the backside of the board to start the rotation.
- Keep your weight centered over the board Maintaining your balance is crucial to landing the trick. Keep your weight centered over the board and avoid leaning too far in any direction.
- Practice, practice, practice Like any trick, the backside 180 takes practice to master. Keep practicing and don’t get discouraged if you don’t land it right away. With time and dedication, you will be able to add this stylish trick to your skateboarding repertoire.
In conclusion, the backside 180 is a fun and stylish trick that can take your skateboarding to the next level. By following the steps and tips outlined in this post, you’ll be well on your way to mastering this trick.