Skateboarding is a sport that is all about pushing boundaries, trying new things, and having fun while doing it. One of the most challenging and exciting tricks in skateboarding is the switch backside 360. This trick involves spinning the skateboard 360 degrees while riding in the switch stance, which is with your non-dominant foot at the back of the board. It’s an impressive trick that requires a lot of practice, patience, and determination to master. In this post, we will cover the steps and tips on how to switch backside 360 on a skateboard.
Step 1: Master the basics Before attempting the switch backside 360, you need to have a good grasp of the basics of skateboarding. This includes riding the board, ollies, and 180-degree turns. Make sure you are comfortable riding your skateboard and have practiced your ollies and 180-degree turns in the switch stance before moving on to the backside 360.
Step 2: Set up for the trick Start by riding towards the obstacle you want to do the trick on. Position your feet on the board in the switch stance, with your non-dominant foot at the back of the board and your dominant foot near the middle of the board.
Step 3: Pop the ollie To start the switch backside 360, you need to pop an ollie. Pop the tail of the board down while jumping with your back foot. As you jump, slide your front foot towards the nose of the board to level it out.
Step 4: Start the spin As you are in mid-air, start to turn your shoulders and hips towards the backside of the board. Your front foot should be turning with your body as you rotate.
Step 5: Keep your eyes on the prize Keep your eyes focused on where you want to land. This will help you maintain your balance and stay centered over the board.
Step 6: Keep spinning As you come around to the 180-degree mark, continue to spin your body and board until you reach the 360-degree mark. This means you need to keep your shoulders and hips rotating until you complete the full spin.
Step 7: Keep your weight centered over the board Maintaining your balance is crucial to landing the trick. Keep your weight centered over the board and avoid leaning too far in any direction.
Step 8: Land the trick As you complete the spin, prepare to land back on the board. Make sure you have your feet in the right position and land with your knees bent to absorb the impact.
Tips for Switch Backside 360
- Practice on flat ground first Before trying the trick on an obstacle, practice the switch backside 360 on flat ground. This will help you get a feel for the trick and build up your confidence.
- Focus on your foot placement Make sure your feet are in the right position when setting up for the trick. This will help you pop the ollie and spin smoothly.
- Use your shoulders and hips to initiate and continue the spin Your shoulders and hips play a critical role in initiating and continuing the spin. Make sure you turn them towards the backside of the board to start the rotation and keep them rotating until you complete the full spin.
- Keep your weight centered over the board Maintaining your balance is crucial to landing the trick. Keep your weight centered over the board and avoid leaning too far in any direction.
- Practice, practice, practice Like any trick, the switch backside 360 takes practice to master. Keep practicing and don’t get discouraged if you don’t land it right away. With time and dedication, you will be able to add this impressive trick to your bag of tricks.